79 The Boyfriend
Tara talks about her boyfriend and what it is about him that she likes.
- Audio Notes
Todd: OK, Tara, why don't you tell us about your first boyfriend?
Tara: OK, my first boyfriend, I met in my hometown. He's called Barry. He's my first real boyfriend. Yeah, I met him at a bar. Yeah, I had a bit of a crush on him when I was younger and then, yeah, we met a club one night and it carried on from there.
Todd: Oh, that's nice. So what was it about Barry that attracted him to you?
Tara: He's very good looking. He's tall and he had a beard. I like beard.
Todd: Beards, really!
Tara: I like beards. I don't know why.
Todd: Short beard or long beard?
Tara: No, no short. I just like stubble.
Todd: OK. Are you still in contact with him?
Tara: Yeah, yeah, yeah. At the moment he's traveling. He's in India but, we're so young, so we often like, separate to go traveling , and then get back together again, because I'm only 24 and he's twenty five, and we have a serious relationship but, we don't wanna, you know, stop doing our own things in life.
I met my first boyfriend, my first real boyfriend, in my
A 'boyfriend' is a male that you have a romantic relationship with. A 'first boyfriend' is the initial boyfriend that you have. Notice the following:
- I met my first boyfriend at a cafe.
- How long were you with your first boyfriend?
I had a crush on him when I was younger.
When we romantically like someone, often in a simple way when we're young, then we have a 'crush' on them. Notice the following:
- I don't understand why you have a crush on him.
- I have had a crush on him since elementary school.
We met at a club one night and we carried on from there.
To 'carry on' is to continue doing something, in this case they continued the relationship from there. Notice the following:
- Why do we have to carry on with this conversation?
- Everyone else was tired but I wanted to carry on with
I don't know why I like short beards; I like stubble.
'Stubble' is very short hair on the face that is rough if you touch it. Notice the following:
- He always has a little bit of stubble on his face.
- You need to shave before work. You have stubble.
We're still young, but we have a serious relationship.
A 'serious relationship' is one that has a possible future in marriage, it is not just dating casually or for fun. Notice the following:
- He isn't ready for a serious relationship right now.
- They were in a serious relationship all through college.