1174 Future Plans for Alex
Alex talks with Maria about what he would like to do in the future with his life.
Alex: I actually have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career. I know I want to do something interesting and I want to do something fun. I've certainly, I think that I as a person am most suited to a service style industry or a hospitality something like that where I would be, I've had sort of dalliances or ideas about cafes, cafe chains, certainly I'd always wanted to I think maybe rival Starbucks would be lovely. I looked at restaurants. Restaurants didn't really appeal to me because you've got weird hours and when everyone is having fun you're not. What else? For me it's, I just like to be able to have something that was constantly enjoyable. I think, you know, what you said, dynamic you know.
Alex: You can have something that will be enjoyable and you can change it up every day and so on and so forth but as to what I specifically would do, I can't put a name to it. I'm not the only one in my family. My father has a CV that's four, sorry ten pages long. It's ten pages long. He's changed jobs I think twenty six times, twenty seven now, and he's just so I don't know. For me I'd like to travel but I'd certainly want to have a home base. I can't go too far away from home.
Maria: When you say home, would it be your present home like Australia or would you...?
Alex: Yeah, I've got to say I'm an Aussie, true blue Aussie. I've got a love of the country. It's my home. I have spent time overseas. I've lived a year and a half in Canada, a year and a half in Australia, a year and a half in Asia sorry it's not a year and a half in Australia, a year and a half in America, so I've done a couple of other things and I've always come back and been why did I leave? What caused me to leave? So, yeah, I'm torn between doing things that are altruistic and selfish. Do I want to just work for me and get the money, the moolah, the cash, the green, or do I want to do something a bit more for everyone else and I don't know it's difficult to decide. How do I do both?
Maria: So the future is open?
Alex: It is open isn't it?
I am most suited to a service style industry.
When something 'suits' you, then it is appropriate to your style or personality. Notice the following:
- Wearing a tie to work just doesn't suit me.
- My new job suits me quite well. I love it.
I've had sort of dalliances or ideas about cafes.
A 'dalliance' is a romantic feeling about a person or thing. Notice the following:
- I had a dalliance with poetry in college.
- They were married, so they kept their dalliances a secret between themselves.
I think a rival Starbucks would be lovely.
A rival is a person or organization you compete against. Notice the following:
- Our basketball games get big crowds when we play against our rival high school.
- Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were both good friends and fierce rivals.
I think, you know, what you said, dynamic, you know.
When something is 'dynamic,' it is always changing or moving. It is something that is full of energy. Notice the following:
- His new haircut was a dynamic shift from his old look.
- Strong economies often have dynamic industries.
My father has a CV that's four, sorry, ten pages long.
'CV' stands for curriculum vitae and it is a list of a person's education and work history. Notice the following:
- British people prefers CV's while Americans prefer resumes, but they're basically the same thing.
- It says on his CV that he speaks five languages.
I'm torn between doing things that are altruistic and selfish.
When someone is 'altruistic,' that means they do things to help people without getting anything in return. Notice the following:
- Most charities try to be altruistic.
- At first we though he was altruistic, but later we learned he hoped to benefit from his actions.
Do I just want to work for me and get the money, the moolah, the cash, the green?
'Moolah' and 'green' are informal terms for money. Notice the following:
- I do not have a lot moolah these days.
- She only likes him for his green.
give it a try >>
dynamic • moolah