… give you some tips for travelling in Vietnam.
Anther word for a “tip” is a “hint”. A tip is a piece of advice that makes something easier to do or learn. See the examples below:
- A tip for improving your English listening ability is to listen to elllo for ten minutes a day.
- I am not good with a computer but my friend Jane is great at it so I asked her for some tips.
… pay a visit to Ho Chi Minh city …
“Pay a visit” just means to make a visit or go somewhere. Here are two examples:
- I met up with an old friend on Facebook, so I’m going to pay them a visit next time I’m in my hometown.
- I’ve had a toothache all week, I really must pay a visit to the dentist.
… you can enjoy bargaining for the food.
To “bargain” for something is to negotiate a price or exchange for something. Usually it involves going back and forth between two people until they agree on a price to pay.
- Bargaining is becoming more acceptable in western countries but it is a way of life in many Asian countries.
- At first he wanted twenty euro for the shirt but after bargaining for a while I got it for fifteen.
… a lot of trading on the river,…
“On the river” means that actions or events are happening in a particular location, in this case on boats on the river. We can also say “on the land” to refer to a farming community.
- Much of the everyday life of Venice is lived on the rivers.
- John lived on the land for many years before he moved to the city.
…you might want to visit…
“Might want to” is a polite and gentle way to make a suggestion to someone about something you think they should do.
- If you are in Melbourne, you might want to visit the zoo there; it is world class.
- If you are a science fiction fan, you might want to see the new movie Avatar.
… is one of the most spicy foods in Vietnam.
“Most” is a pronoun that helps us understand that something is of the highest value or greatest quantity. Sometimes it can be used interchangeably with the suffix –est. For example in this case we can say “most spicy” or “spiciest”.
- “The Joker” is the most cool of all the Batman characters.
- The U.S.A. has the most weapons production of any country in the world.