80 In Flight
Various people discuss how they pass the time while they are travelling in the air.
Matthew / U.K.
My wife and I like to play cards, backgammon, other games like that. I try and read. I try and watch the movies, but often I just look out the window.
Eoin / U.K.
When I'm on flight I like to sleep, but unfortunately I can't always sleep. Failing that, watching the movies is good, listening to my iPod or reading a book, something like that. In terms of not ... what I don't like to do ... I don't like to drink on flights, seeing that I had a pretty bad drinking beer and then passing out on an airplane before.
Lori / Canada
Well, usually, I'm too excited when I'm on a flight to concentrate on the movie or to concentrate on a book, so usually I try to convince my husband to play cards with me or one of the many travel games we brought, and also I eat and drink everything they will bring me ... any complimentary food or drink item, bring them to me.
Aki / Japan
I usually sleep. Like when the plane takes off. I get some sleep. When I wake up, maybe two hours later, I start watching DVDs, movies. I also bring my iPod with me all the time, so I listen to podcasts and music.
Amir / Iran
I watch videos. I talk to the passenger next to me. I walk. I drink wine, or I just simply sleep.
Shalini / Canada
Long flight: sleeping, watch a movie, one movie, no matter how good the rest are, eat the dinner, have a drink and just sleep for the rest of the flight.
When I'm on flight I like to sleep, but unfortunately I can't always sleep.
When something is unfortunate, it is unlucky, sad or regrettable. Here are some examples:
- We were planning to play baseball, but unfortunately it started raining.
- Unfortunately, I didn't get the job I was hoping for.
I had a bad experience drinking beer and then passing out on an airplane before.
'Passing out' means to lose consciousness. It is similar to falling asleep but it is usually caused by drinking too much or from a sudden fear or sickness. Notice the following examples:
- He always keeps drinking until he passes out.
- I can't stand the sight of blood. If I see it, I'll probably pass out.
I'm too excited when I'm on a flight to concentrate on the movie.
When someone is 'concentrating,' they are paying attention or focusing carefully. Here are some additional examples:
- I can concentrate better on my work if I listen to music while I'm doing it.
- It's hard to concentrate during that class because it is so boring.
If there is any complimentary food or drink items, bring them to me.
'Complimentary' means that you don't have to pay extra for it. In other words, it's free. Here are two more examples:
- At most hotels these days, the soap and shampoo are complimentary.
- Conferences usually have a lot of complimentary promotional items.
I talk to the passenger next to me.
A 'passenger' is a person who is riding on a bus, plane, train, car, boat or any moving vehicle. See the following examples:
- He was sitting in the passenger seat when the accident happened.
- Many of the passengers started to complain because it was so hot in the airplane.
complimentary • passengers