Mixer 119 Best Sports Memory
Six people talk about their best memory either playing or watching sports.
- Audio Slide Show
Aiman / Syria
My best moment in sports was the last time I was cycling and I was really close to winning that race but I had a puncture and I had to withdraw from that race. But, that was really a great moment for me because I came a really long way to achieving that position.
Cheryl / United States
What is my best moment in sports? Well, that's actually kind of difficult because I'm not very athletic. However, I can say that my best moment in sports was when I was a child on Sports Day in school probably when I was in junior high I remember winning a blue medal which is third place for a relay game. That was probably my best moment. I think I'm just happy to hit the ball.
Antoine / France
When I was like 12 years old my dad brought me to a football game. It was in Bordeaux which is a big city in France and Bordeaux was playing against Milan AC which at the time was one of the best teams in Europe. And Bordeaux beat Milan AC it was in the UEFA Cup and so it was a great moment. I cried.
Emily / Djibouti
Ah, I think my favorite moment was in 1998 when for the World Cup. France won and I was with France so I was really happy and actually it was the first time that I was in France and I saw how people were happy and partying on that occasion.
Jonathan / Canada
The question is, what was my best moment in sports. Sadly, I don't really have a best moment in sports. When I played hockey as a boy I was the number two goalie and I didn't play very often. On my high school baseball team I was the number two catcher and the best player on the team was the number one catcher so I sat on the bench and kept score most of the games and I would only play if we were already losing something like 17 to 0 so I never had a wonderful moment in sports and I regret it.
Jeff / Canada
My best moment ever in sports was I only played one rugby game in my whole life. I played where I grew up in High school. I played with the local weekend team and I practiced many times with them but I never played a game because I was always busy. But one day I played in only one game and I scored four tries and I was a hero and then I never played another game.
I came a really long way.
Here, the phrase 'come a long way' means to work hard and improve a lot at something. Notice the samples.
I sat on the bench.
A member of a sport team who goes to the game but does not play is said to 'sit on the bench.' Here are two examples
- Beckham was healthy, but he sat on the bench the whole game.
- In high school, I was terrible at football so I just sat on the bench most of the time.
We were losing something like 17-0
Here, 'something like' is similar in meaning to 'about'. Notice the samples.
- Last night I studied for a test and went to bed at something like 3:00 AM.
- The salary is something like 2000 pounds per month to start.
I only played one rugby game in my whole life.
The phrase 'whole life' talks about your life from when you were born until today. Notice the sample sentences.
- I've been studying English my whole life, but my speaking is not so good.
- He has lived in Jakarta his whole life.
Where I grew up.
The phrase 'grow up' talks about getting older. It's a time in life that starts when we are very young to when we become a young adult. Look at the examples below.
- My dad grew up on the east coast but moved to the west coast after university.
- My girlfriend grew up in Paris. She now lives in Nice.
my culture were brought up to think that that's really bad.
In this case, "brought up" means to be raised from childhood.
- I was brought up to believe it is impolite to eat with your elbows on the table.
- Many boys are brought up to believe they should hide their feelings.
If you do anything wrong then it's on your record.
"Record" in this case means a criminal history or some other official record of your behaviour.
- If you are late for work more than 3 times, it will be noted on your record with the Personnel section.
- Many countries will not issue a visa if you have a criminal conviction on your record.
The policeman asked me to pull over.
In this case, "pulling over" is an action taken when you are driving a car and it means
to move your car to the side of the road and stop.
- Thanks for giving me a lift home. You can pull over at this corner and let me off.
- In Japan, you should pull over to the left and wait if you hear an ambulance coming.
The policeman in Dubai was very straight and honest.
When we are talking about people, "straight" means to be honest and not evasive nor to hide
- It is important to have people who are straight working in positions of authority, so that their power is not abused.
- When my sister had an accident, my father was completely straight with me about her condition and didn't try to protect me from the difficult truth.
He turned me down, it is really bad in the Arab culture.
To be "turned down" is to be denied something.
- I asked Jack if he would go out for coffee with me, but he turned me down. I was so disappointed.
- When I asked my mum if I could get a motor bike, she turned me down because it was too dangerous.