Man: Where are you?
Woman: I am working inside. I am writing a letter to my friend. I am telling him about my life and my new job.
Man: Are you using the computer?
Woman: I am not using the computer because I like to hand-write letters. My hand is getting tired though.
Man: Where is Mary?
Woman: Mary is cooking in the kitchen. She is chopping up some vegetables because she is making a vegetable soup.
Man: How is she making it?
Woman: She is reading a recipe and following the instructions inside. She is enjoying herself.
Man: What is Bob doing?
Woman: Bob is working on his car. He is giving it a tune up. He is changing the oil and checking all the parts of the cars.
Man: But, he is not working? He is just standing there!
Woman: He is taking his time because he wants to do the job right. He is listening to the radio as he works.
Man: Where are the twins?
Woman: They are playing outside. They are playing soccer with their friends. They are using the front lawn as a soccer pitch.
Man: Are they having fun?
Woman: They are having a lot of fun. They are exercising so they are burning lots of energy. I think they are trying to lose weight.
- What are you doing?
- I'm calling my friend. (The action will stop soon.)
- What are you watching on TV?
- I'm watching a documentary about the Olympics.
- I live in New York.
- I'm living in New York at the moment. (I'll move one day.)
- I work a lot.
- I'm working a lot these days. (I will work less soon.)
- I am having a good time.
- I'm havin' a good time.
- She is making a big mistake.
- She's makin' a big mistake.
- He is not coming to the party.
- He isn't comin' to the party.
- Are you coming to the party tomorrow night?
- Yes, but I'm working tomorrow, so I might be late.
- Is anyone coming with you?
- Yes, I'm bringing my friend.
Gap Fill: Complete the conversation with the correct word!
Grammar Listening Practice
I work at a tech company.
He works at a hospital.
I am writing a letter to my friend.
I won’t take up much of your time.
What are you going to do tonight?