Todd: OK, hey, Marion, how are you feeling today?
Marion: I'm realy tired. Kind of, I don't know, my throat's really scratchy, so maybe I'm coming down with something.
Todd: Oh, no. That's terrible. Are you taking anything for it?
Marion: Actually, I am. I had a private student last night and she told me some wild formula to do. And she asked me to take coca-cola, boil it, add some ginger, and then drink it, however, I'm caffiene sensitive so it kept me up pretty much all night, so I'm really tired today.
Todd: How did it taste?
Marion: It wasn't bad. If it was probably mid-afternoon, I would love it, but 11:30 at night it kept me up.
Todd: Oh, no.
Todd: Are you going to try it again, but maybe in the morning?
Marion: No I think I'm just going to stick with the regular cold syrup, and just take that.
Todd: Yeah, that stuff tastes terrible.
Marion: It does.
My throat is really scratchy.
To have a 'scratchy' throat is to feel like your throat is very dry. Sometimes you will also have a dry cough. If your throat is scratchy, it doesn't exactly hurt, but it is not comfortable. Notice the following:
- They almost canceled the concert because the singer had a scratchy throat.
- My throat is always very scratchy after football games because I yell a lot.
come down with
I'm coming down with something.
If you are 'coming down with something' you feel as though you are getting sick. All of the signals that you feel before you actually get sick. Notice the following:
- He didn't go to school today because he felt like he was coming down with something.
- You look terrible. Are you coming down with something?
I'm caffeine sensitive.
If you are 'sensitive' to caffeine then you are easily affected by it. Maybe you have a little cup of coffee and your hands shake. You are sensitive to anything that affects you. Notice the following:
- My knee was very sensitive after surgery.
- She can't handle criticism because she is very sensitive.
keep me up
Taking the formula at night kept me up.
If something 'keeps you up' all night it prevents you from sleeping. This could be noise, something you are thinking about, caffeine, anything that doesn't allow you to sleep. Notice the following:
- The new baby keeps them up at night and they are always very tired.
- There was a dog barking outside my window and it kept me up all night.
I'm going to stick with the regular cold syrup.
If you 'stick with' regular cold syrup then you continue using it, even if someone offers you a different remedy. Notice the following:
- Are you going to stick with the same doctor?
- Even though I really enjoyed the kickboxing class I am going to stick with my regular routine.
keeps us up • stick with
Kevin talks a little about life in Wales.
Marion feels sick. She talks about a special cold remedy she was given.
Masako is so happy about her new grandchild. She shares her feelings.
Diana answers questions about animals and the zoo.
Kerri answers questions about reading.