Man: Why didn't you come to the party?
Woman: I didn't know about it.
Man: Oh, no! I should have told you about it.
Woman: Yeah, I would have come, if I had known about it.
Man: That's too bad. I think you would have enjoyed it.
Woman: I think I would have too!
Man: So how was your job interview?
Woman: Good, but I should have spoken up more.
Man: Oh, I am sure you did fine.
Woman: Yeah, I just wish I had expressed myself better.
Man: I think you are being too hard on yourself.
Woman: Maybe, but I still think I could have done better.
Man: How was the movie?
Woman: Actually, I wish I hadn't seen it.
Man: Why? Was it that bad?
Woman: No! It was a great movie.
Man: Then, why do you wish you hadn't seen it?
Woman: Because it was so scary. I couldn't sleep last night.
Man: Oh, really! I love horror movies. Now I wish I had seen it.
Woman: Well, it is playing for another week, so you have time.
Man: How was your vacation?
Woman: Good, but I wish I had stayed at a different hotel.
Man: Why do you say that?
Woman: Well, it was next to a lively street and it was so noisy.
Man: Oh no!
Woman: As a result, I never had a good night sleep.
Man: Maybe you should have read some reviews first.
Woman:Yeah, I should have.
Man: Well, shoulda, woulda coulda!
- I should have studied more in school.
- We should have saved some money.
- I would have been upset.
- I could have been a contender.
- If I were you, I would have said something.
- If I could do it over, I would have changed jobs.
- If we had won, I wold have been happy.
- If the weather had been nicer, we would have stayed longer.
- I wish I had tried harder in school.
- I wish I would have tried harder in school.
- She wishes she had applied for the job.
- She wishes she would have appled for the job.
- I would have said something. (I did not have the chance)
- I could have said something. (I had a chance, but did not)
- I should have said something. (I regret not saying something)
- I must have said something. (I speculate I said something)
- I might have said something. (The outcome might differ)
- I may have said something.
Grammar Listening Practice
He's the guy who I was telling you about.
Well, I will see what I can do, but no promises.
So, I assume that all are invited?
I’ve known him since high school.
That's too bad. I think you would have enjoyed it.