Jamon talks about things he can and can not do well.
Todd: Can you cook?
Jamon: I can cook a little bit. I like cooking.
Todd: What do you like to make when you cook?
Jamon: Just simple things. I love salad. I make a huge salad.
Todd: I love salad. OK, can you sing?
Jamon: No, I can't sing. I just sing for me. On the...when I have a shower.
Todd: Oh, really, you sing in the shower? Nice, what, what songs do you sing? Like pop songs or just...?
Jamon: No, mainly reggae. I love reggae.
Todd: Wow! Can you play any musical instruments?
Todd: Oh, really.
Jamon: It's an Australian instrument.
Todd: Yeah, yeah. Where did you learn that?
Jamon: I learned in Switzerland.
Todd: Really. OK. Is it popular in switzerland?
Jamon: Yeah, it's popular. Everybody knows about it.
Todd: Wow. How long have you played?
Jamon: A couple of years maybe. Maybe 4 years.
Let's talk about different abilities.
Your 'abilities' are what you are able to do or your skills. Notice the following:
- He has many special abilities for his age.
- She got the job because of her language abilities.
I like reggae music.
'Reggae' music is Jamaican music that is usually somewhat slow-paced, combines old-time rhythm and blues and ska, and usually has strong lyrics, a heavy bass line and lots of drum beats. Notice the following:
- He is part of a popular reggae band.
- Reggae music makes me think of nice weather.
What musical instrument do you play?
If you 'play an instrument' you know how to make the instrument make music that sounds good. You know how to play different notes and songs. Notice the following:
- My sister can play six different instruments.
- He has played the piano for about 5 years.
This instrument is popular in Switzerland.
Something that is 'popular' is used or liked by a lot of people. Popular things are usually common. Notice the following:
- She is a very popular actress this year.
- That store is getting really popular.
couple of years
I've been playing this instrument for a couple of years.
A 'couple' is used as a general number when we don't know the exact number. It usually means two or three. Notice the following:
- We will only be gone for a couple of days.
- I think there are a couple of apples left in the refrigerator.
Below are some more great lessons!
popular • couple