Todd: So, James, you're in a band!
Todd: OK, tell us about your band.
James: I play in a Swedish Bubblegum Punk Band.
Todd: Swedish Bubblegum Punk Band. What exactly is that?
James: I don't know, but that's what it says on the CD.
Todd: OK. What do you play in your band?
James: I play base guitar.
Todd: OK. How long have you been playing the guitar?
James: I've been playing the guitar for about 12 or 13 years.
Todd: Oh, really! OK. Nice. Do you play any other instruments?
James: I play a little guitar and a little drums.
Todd: Since you're in a band do you meet lots of women?
Todd: Really! You're a rock star.
Todd: Nice. Nice. Do you tour or do you just play where you live?
James: We just play in clubs. Local clubs.
Todd: OK. What the best thing about being a musician, in the band?
James: It's really good for relaxing and having fun.
Todd: Is it your full-time job?
James: No, it's not. It's only a hobby.
Todd: Oh, OK.
What exactly is that band?
We use the word 'exactly' when we want specific details about something, not general answers. Notice the following:
- Boston is exactly 46 miles from here.
- We have exactly 32 minutes to get to the meeting.
I play bass guitar.
If you 'play' an instrument you know how to use it make music and songs. Notice the following:
- Where did you learn to play the piano?
- I think he plays about seven different instruments.
You're a rock star!
A 'rock star' is a famous musician who plays rock music. Notice the following:
- Mick Jagger is definitely a rock star.
- He dressed like a rock star even before he was famous.
Do you tour or do you just play in the local clubs?
If you 'tour' you go from one place to another doing shows. A 'local club' is a small bar or music place for bands that are just starting or not nationally popular. Notice the following:
- The next place they are going on tour is Las Vegas.
- He owns a local music club.
It's not my full-time job; it's just my hobby.
Your 'full-time' job is what you do to make money. Full-time means that you do it about 40 hours a week. Notice the following:
- He has a full-time job, but he volunteers on the
- Have you ever had a full-time job?