Todd: Hi, what's your name?
Todd: OK, Jeanna, how old are you?
Jeanna: I'm 15 years old.
Todd: 15! OK, are you in high school?
Jeanna: Yes, I am.
Todd: OK. What do you think about high school?
Jeanna: It's fun. Very diverse.
Todd: What do you like to study in high school?
Jeanna: I like history a lot.
Todd: OK. Why do you like history?
Jeanna: It's interesting to learn about the past, different things, and different cultures.
Todd: OK. What's one thing you don't like about high school?
Jeanna: People can be really cruel.
Todd: Oh, really! How? How are people cruel?
Jeanna: There's a lot of judgmental-ness.
Todd: Oh, that's too bad. So, you're nice to everybody?
Todd: OK. OK. Who's your favorite teacher?
Jeanna: Probably my English teacher
I'm 15 years old, and I'm in high school.
'High school' is the last part of school before you start university. In many areas people are in high school from 14 to 18 years old. Notice the following:
- He still thinks of high school as the best time of his
- Did you like your high school?
High school is fun and very diverse.
If a place is 'diverse' it has people from many different cultural, ethnic or religious backgrounds. It means that not everyone is the same. Notice the following:
- The part of the city where we live is very diverse.
- They sent their kids to a very diverse private school.
But sometimes, people can be really cruel.
If someone is really mean or does things to hurt other people they are being 'cruel.' Notice the following:
- He is very cruel to people he doesn't like.
- Stop being cruel and help me.
There's a lot of judgmentalness.
A person is 'judgmental' when they have opinions about other people that are not really based on fact. They form opinions without completely understanding the other people or their problems. 'Judgmentalness' is the noun to go with this adjective. Notice the following:
- Her judgmentalness is difficult to understand sometimes.
- His parents are very judgmental towards people from
nice (to everybody)
Are you nice to everybody?
When you are kind and care about all people then you are 'nice to everybody.' Someone who is nice to everybody does not make judgments and accepts people for who they are. Notice the following:
- It is difficult to be nice to other people if they are
- He tries very hard to be nice to everybody.