Todd: OK, hello, could you say your name please?
Diana: Yes, my name is Diana Heyne.
Todd: Diana, where are you from?
Diana: I live in Chicago.
Todd: Great, Chicago! How long have you lived in Chicago?
Diana: Actually, only for a year. I'm mostly a mid-western girl. I've lived all over the mid-west.
Todd: OK, like what places in the mid-west?
Diana: I was born in Iowa, and I lived in Indiana after that, and then I moved to Illinois, and then I grew up mostly in Michigan, but now I live in Chicago and I love it.
Todd: OK, so Chicago is your favorite place?
Todd: OK, why do you like Chicago?
Diana: It's busy. Everyone in Chicago is always busy and they're doing their own thing, and it's just fun to be in such an exciting atmosphere.
Todd: OK. Does Chicago have a lot of good food, a lot of good restaurants?
Diana: Yes. If you like to eat Chicago is a good place to go. My favorite place is the Taco Burrito Palace.
Todd: Taco Burrito Palace. Wow. Sounds good.
I'm mostly a mid-western girl; I've lived all over the mid-west.
The 'mid-western' states of the United States include Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and North and South Dakota. It is the middle region of the U.S. A 'mid-western girl' would come from or live in this part of the country. Notice the following:
- Mid-western people have a reputation for being nice.
- They serve very mid-western food here.
grew up mostly
I grew up mostly in Michigan.
If you 'grow up mostly' in one place it means that you lived there almost all of the time when you were growing up. Notice the following:
- He grew up mostly in the northwest, in places like Seattle.
- She grew up mostly at her grandparents' house.
doing their own thing
Everyone in Chicago is always busy, and they're doing their own thing.
When people 'do their own thing' they have their own personal plan or things that they like to do. It means that people are independent. Notice the following:
- I think I'm going to do my own thing tomorrow. I need some time alone.
- My kids are teenagers and are really into doing their own thing right now.
It's fun to be in such an exciting atmosphere.
When we are surrounded by places and people that are fun and interesting we are in an 'exciting atmosphere.' Notice the following:
- It's a very exciting atmosphere to walk around in.
- She likes working in an exciting atmosphere, like a restaurant or bar.
Does Chicago have a lot of good food, a lot of good restaurants?
'Good food' is food that is delicious or tastes good. Notice the following:
- They only make a few different things here, but it's good food.
- We go to the festivals for the good food.
atmosphere • good food