Kerri answers questions about when and what she likes to read.
Todd: First of all, do you like to read?
Kerri: Yes, I do!
Todd: What do you read usually?
Kerri: I kind of alternate between fiction and non-fiction.
Todd: OK. What are you reading now?
Kerri: I'm reading two books now. The Ethics of Startrek, which my uncle gave me, which is non-fiction, and I just started it today: A Spy in the House of Love.
Todd: Oh, OK. It looks like a pretty good book. What is it about?
Kerri: Right now I've just started, so it's about a women who has been having an affair, basically.
Todd: OK. When do you read? When do you find time to read?
Kerri: I read on the trains while I'm commuting to work. I read at night, on the weekends.
Todd: OK. What is your favorite author?
Kerri: I don't have a favorite author.
Todd: Yeah. it's kind of hard to pick.
Todd: OK. Do you go to the library often?
Kerri: No, I don't.
I alternate between fiction and non-fiction.
If you 'alternate' between two things or ideas then you change between them. You go from one to the other and back again. Notice the following:
- My son alternates between wanting to be an astronaut and a fireman.
- She alternates between being really happy and really sad.
The book is about a women who has been having an affair.
If you are married or have a partner and you have a romantic relationship with a different person then you have 'an affair.' Notice the following:
- Even though she had an affair years ago they are still married now.
- They got a divorce after she discovered he was having an affair.
When do you find time to read?
To 'find time' to do something is to have time to do it even though you are very busy and it is difficult to have the time. Notice the following:
- I don't know how she does it, but she always finds time to cook a healthy dinner for her family.
- Do you ever find time to exercise now?
I read on the train while I'm commuting to work.
Your 'commute' to work is the travel to work, like on a bus, on a train or in a car. Notice the following:
- How long is your commute?
- The commute to my new job is much longer than it was to my old job.
hard to pick
It's hard to pick a favorite author.
If something is 'hard to pick' it is difficult to decide or choose. In the example, there are many good authors so it is difficult to pick a favorite one. Notice the following:
- It is always hard for her to pick what to wear on a first date.
- It's hard to pick my favorite fruit because I really like them all.
Below are some more great lessons!
commute • hard to pick