Mark talks about his love of books.
- Audio Notes
Todd: Hey, Mark I saw that you're reading a book out there.
Mark: Yeah, that's right.
Todd: So, do you read a lot?
Mark: Yeah, I read a lot. In fact I don't have a television.
Todd: Ah, you're the man.
Mark: Seriously, I only read.
Todd: Wow, how many books do you get through a week?
Mark: A week! Ah, at least one a week, because I work all the time.
Todd: Oh, that's pretty good.
Mark: Yeah, but I enjoy reading because television doesn't give you imagination, yeah I prefer reading.
Todd: Yeah, I hear you. It rots your mind, I think. Ah, also, what kind of books you like to read? What kind of genres?
Mark: Well, let's see, I've got a lot of nonfiction, a lot of comedy.
Todd: Cool, so actually, when you read, like where do you normally read?
Mark: Where do I normally read? On the trains, actually. I'm always reading on the trains. I read because I'm always traveling to work. A lot of pleasure. And it's funny because I meet people on the trains when I'm reading, they look over at my book.
Todd: That's cool. I love to read on the trains.
Seriously, I only read.
"Seriously" can be replaced with "to be honest." Usually we use the word "seriously" with a sentence that we don't think people will believe. Notice the following:
- There were seriously 15 people in one room.
- Seriously, I fell asleep at 8:30 last night.
How many books do you get through a week?
To "get through" something is to finish it. We usually use this phrase for something that takes a lot of effort. Notice the following:
- How many reports did you get through today?
- I only got through half of the laundry yesterday.
Television doesn't give you imagination.
An "imagination" is the ability to form mental images or pictures of what you see or hear in words. People use their imaginations to invent new things or ideas. Notice the following:
- You will have to use your imagination to picture the house with
- When we were young we used our imagination to invent other worlds.
What kind of books do you read? What kind of genres?
The "genre" of a book is its type or topic. For example, romance, mystery, suspense, etc. Notice the following:
- What is your favorite genre of movie?
- I like almost all genres of literature except romance novels.
It's funny because people on the train look over at my book.
In the example, "it's funny" can be replaced by "it's humorous" or "it's interesting." We can use the phrase "it's funny" to talk about things that make us laugh or that we find surprising and unusual. Notice the following:
- It's funny that you want to see that movie again. I thought
you hated it.
- It was funny that you called yesterday because I was thinking