Nicola talks about the different newspapers in England.
OK, the newspapers in England, well, we've got quite a lot of newspapers, some of the more serious ones like The Times. Then you got the middle of the range, things like the Daily Mail and the Daily Express, and then you got the British tabloids, which were quite famous for, and the tabloids are quite interesting. Basically, the tabloids are just gossip, and they will report anything and everything in great detail. Um, a lot of people kind of disapprove of the tabloids but personally I find them quite interesting and entertaining. In our house, we have a tabloid newspaper, The Daily Mirror and we have the Daily Mail as well. And in the Mirror you'll get all the gossip, and things like horoscopes, and real celebrity news like recently you've had the David Beckham thing that he's been having an affair, and that was interesting. It went into real detail all the text messages that they sent and everything, uh, and it is kind of, it is just gossip, but then many people get the tabloids because it reports the sport in a lot of detail, so a lot of men get the, for the football scores and horse racing and everything.
middle of the range
Middle of the range newspapers like the Daily Mail.
'Middle of the range' would be an average newspaper. Not the most popular or respected, but considered to be decent or acceptable. Notice the following:
- He doesn't want to be rich, just a middle of the range life.
- If you don't practice more seriously you are always going to be a middle of the range player.
Basically the tabloids are just gossip.
'Gossip' is talk or rumors, usually in the tabloids it is gossip about famous people. Notice the following:
- She's thirteen so she spends a lot of time gossiping with her friends.
- There has been a lot of gossip about her getting married recently.
anything and everything
The tabloids will report anything and everything.
If a tabloid reports on 'anything and everything' there are no limits or restrictions on the topics the will discuss. Notice the following:
- I don't want you to buy anything and everything. Just get the things your really need, okay?
- He eats like a pig, anything and everything.
A lot of people kind of disapprove of the tabloids.
To 'disapprove of something' is to have a negative opinion about it, to think it is wrong. Notice the following:
- His wife disapproves of his nights out with his friends.
- My parents disapprove of smoking.
In the Daily Mirror you'll get things like horoscopes.
A 'horoscope' is a prediction about future events in your life based on when you were born. Notice the following:
- Read me my horoscope. I'm a Libra.
- How often do you read your horoscope?
Below are some more great lessons!
disapprove • horoscope