215 The Wedding - His Story
John talks about the day he got married.
Todd: OK, John could you tell us about your wedding day?
John: Sure, I got married about two years ago on May 18th. I got married in my wife's parents backyard. They have a really beautiful backyard, with a pool and it's nicely landscaped, with lots of nice flowers and bushes and trees. It was a kind of a small wedding we only had about 30 to 50 people there, all close friends of the family, and a few family members who I hadn't seen in a few years who were able to make it, but it was a pretty small affair and we had the food catered, some seafood and some meat, steak, type items, and it was a beautiful outdoor wedding.
The actual ceremony only lasted about 15, 20 minutes. I cried, when I was supposed to like, deliver my lines. I cried and everyone told me afterwards, they were like, " I couldn't hear a word you were saying because you were crying, right!" and I was trying not to talk loud cause the louder I got the louder my crying noises got, so I was like "Ah, mmm, will you merry me?", just real quiet. But other than that it went pretty smooth.
It was a beautiful backyard with a pool and nicely landscaped.
When a yard is 'landscaped' it is well cared for and decorated. Sometimes this means rocks, fountains and trees. Notice the following:
- This summer we are going to have the backyard landscaped.
- All of the yards in my neighborhood are well landscaped.
We only had about 30-50 close friends of the family.
You 'close friends' are the people that are most involved in your life and that you rely on if you have a problem. Notice the following:
- She only has a few close friends.
- His close friends were really surprised when he told them he was getting married.
able to make it
There were a few other family members who were able to make it.
If a person is 'able to make it' to a place they come there even though it is very far or costs a lot of money. Notice the following:
- My husband is sick and we won't be able to make it to dinner tonight.
- We will definitely be able to make it to your graduation party.
Our wedding was a pretty small affair.
In this case 'affair' refers to the celebration, party or event. Notice the following:
- The whole weekend was a very serious affair.
- I didn't know a small dinner party could turn into such a big affair.
deliver (my) lines
I cried when I was supposed to deliver my lines.
'Deliver you lines' means to say the words that you are supposed to say in a loud voice. We use the word 'lines' for sentences or phrases that have been written and practiced before the time when we say them. Notice the following:
- She delivered her lines so well at the audition that she got the part immediately.
- He was so nervous during the first play that he had problems delivering his lines.