- Audio Slide Show
Mike: No we don't. Once you enlist you have to go through a ... what do you call ... a health medical check up and you'll be given grade A to F. If you get an F you don't have to serve in the military. And grade A and B you have to, and for grade I think C you have to but you'll be given a clerical job mostly.
Clare: Is there ... can you say how exactly the classification works or is it just the medical people who decide this?
Mike: For example, for a grade C personnel you might have things like a ... what do you call a "ligament laxity" which means it is easy for you to get sprains, ankle sprains or back injuries or stuff like that. And you might have in the past, if you have sweaty palms, that might pass you as grade C because you can't through a grenade but now they don't take that excuse anymore. Another thing is if you're ... if you have a history of asthma attacks ...
Clare: Well I can see why they would not want people who have asthma being a soldier ...
Mike: Right, but if you're obese, that doesn't qualify you for grade C because if you're overweight what they make you to do is spend an extra two months for Basic Military Training
Mike: ... or what we term as BMT, so for the average Private, or actually recruit, you have to do three months for BMT ...
Clare: Ouch ...
Mike: ... but for obese personnel you have to do up to five months ... so the extra two months is a lot of training, especially cardio training.
Clare: Do you know anyone who had to go through five months of BMT?
Mike: Both of my cousins ... and quite a lot of my friends actually, because Singaporean diet is actually ... yeah, I'll just leave it as that.
Clare: So I imagine if many Americans had to go through that training program, I know I probably would have to take the five months.
You have to go through a health medical check-up.
We use the word 'medical' to talk about things related to doctors,
medicine, and the treatment of health problems. Note the
- You need a medical certificate to show you were sick if you miss work due to illness.
- The hospital has many kinds of medical instruments.
You'll be given a clerical job.
Anything clerical involves data entry, documents, files; things like
that. Note the following:
- My membership was canceled because of a clerical error.
- New employees do mainly clerical work when they first join the company.
It is easy for you to get sprains,
A sprain is an injury most often caused by a sudden unnatural
movement. Note the following:
- She sprained her ankle playing volleyball.
- He has a slight sprain on his wrist from playing tennis.
For obese personnel you have to do
The word 'personnel' means people in a company or an
organization. Note the following:
- That company has personnel from all over the world.
- Most of the personnel in that department speak at least two languages.
The Singaporean diet is not perfect. I'll
just leave it as that.
We use the phrase 'I'll just leave it at that' when we don't wish to
say any more about a negative topic. Note the following:
- My spouse and I are spending the holidays away from each other. I'll just leave it at that.
- His work is not to our standards. I'll just leave it at that.