918 Mari's Media Choices
Mari talks about the various types of media she prefers to use and why.
Mari: I watch the news in the morning and when I come home at night I sometimes watch TV.
Ron: Do you have a favorite TV show?
Mari: I don't have a favorite TV show.
Ron: OK. How often do you go to the movies?
Mari: I really like going to the movies. I think I go maybe once a month or maybe once every two months.
Ron: And other than that do you rent movies?
Mari: No, I don't rent movies but sometimes I download movies. I like to watch comedies - romantic comedies - and a little bit of drama.
Ron: What is your favorite movie you've watch recently?
Mari: My favorite movie... I don't know if it was my favorite movie, but a movie that I watched recently is called "27 Dresses". It is about a girl, or a woman, who is a bridesmaid twenty-seven times.
Ron: And that's a romantic comedy?
Mari: It is.
Ron: Interesting. What about reading? Do you like to read books?
Mari: I do like to read books. Right now, I'm really busy with work so I don't have a lot of time to read but when I'm on vacation or whenever I have free time, I like to read books.
Ron: What kind of books?
Mari: I like to read non-fiction usually. Biographies of people, and I also like to read about like teaching practices so that I can become a better teacher and a little bit of fiction.
Ron: And what about concerts? Do you enjoy going to concerts?
Mari: I don't go to music concerts. I don't think I've ever been to one actually but I like to go see musicals and I also like to go to sporting events.
Ron: Nice talking with you Mari.
I like to watch comedies - romantic comedies.
A romantic comedy is a funny movie about love and relationships. Notice the following:
- Romanitc comedies are popular around Valentine's Day.
- I hate romantic comedies. They always have the same ending.
A movie that I watched recently is called "27 Dresses".
We use recently to talk about the near past; maybe a week or a month ago. Notice the following:
- He recently gave up smoking so he is very moody.
- I have not seen Joe recently. Is he sick?
It is about a woman who is a bridesmaid.
Before a woman gets married she chooses a bridesmaid, usually her best friend, to help her during the marriage ceremony. Notice the following:
- All the sisters will be bridesmaids at the wedding.
- The bridesmaid is suppposed to pay for her own dress, even though the bride chooses it for her.
I like to read non-fiction usually.
Non-fiction is a true story that really happened. Notice the following:
- I stopped reading fiction in college. I just read non-fiction, mainly business books now.
- I like reading non-fiction because the topics are real.
I like to read biographies of people.
Biographies are books about the lives of interesting or famous people. Notice the following:
- I just read a great biography of Elvis Presley.
- The biography showed a different image of the him than he was portrayed in real life.
Below are some more great lessons!
non-fiction • biographies