1187 Soccer Emotions
Daniel and Valeria talk about strong emotions associated with soccer.
Daniel: Wow, that's, if it's an important match you will really get into it even if you're not in the stadium you're watching it like on tele you will shout at the screen and you will shout...
Valeria: Which kind of things will you shout?
Daniel: Pretty much insults to all the players and the referee.
Valeria: Like if they are not doing well you insult them?
Daniel: Yeah, obviously.
Valeria: On the television?
Daniel: Even in front of the television, yeah. It might sound, it might sound a bit weird but at the same time we see football and we live football as a kind of stress relief therapy.
Valeria: I see. So if they are doing well, OK, you say like come on let's go and everything is fine?
Valeria: If they are not doing as well as you would like to, you will insult them in front of the television?
Daniel: Yeah, and sometimes with people we get to the point that when they cry if their team loses and I've seen that many times.
Valeria: Wait, are you talking about men, Latin American men, crying?
Daniel: Yeah, macho Latino men crying because of football, yeah.
Valeria: I see.
If it's an important match, you will really get into it even if you're not in the stadium.
When you 'get into' something, you become excited or involved in it. Notice the following:
- She has been getting into Indian food lately.
- Since moving to California, he has really gotten into biking.
Which kind of things will you shout?
If you 'shout' something, you yell it in a very loud voice. Notice the following:
- My throat hurts from shouting all day at the game.
- He can't hear very well, so he shouts sometimes and thinks he is speaking normally.
If they are not doing well you insult them.
When you 'insult' someone, you say something to hurt or offend that person. Notice the following:
- He usually tries to insult his girlfriend when they fight.
- I didn't mean to insult you. I was just trying to be honest.
It might sound a bit weird.
You can say that something 'sounds weird' when the explanation or reason that you give is not what the listener would expect. Notice the following:
- Does it sound weird to you that I'm afraid of raw meat?
- I know it sounds weird to most people, but I really hate pizza.
We see football as a kind of stress relief therapy.
Something that acts a 'stress relief' helps you reduce anxiety or stress in your life. It is something that makes you feel calm and more balanced. Notice the following:
- Some people hate exercise, but I use it as a kind of stress relief.
- Doing yoga is a huge stress relief for me.
give it a try >>
weird • relief