1216 A Few More Bad Habits
Erina talks with Mike about some of her bad habits and why she does them.
Erina: Well it's pretty tough to know what your bad habits are, you know, because it's ususally something that other people see.
Erina: And I hear a lot and I go to Starbucks a lot and I have to admit that I do go to Starbucks a lot every time I find time.
Mike: Right. Some people would say that's not a bad habit but what do you think about that makes it a bad habit?
Erina: I do waste money, a lot of money on Starbucks and I am not a coffee person. I just like to be in an environment where I can just sit down and drink coffee, I guess.
Mike: Understandable, you know, especially in Starbucks and other coffee shops it is, they do a good job of creating a nice atmosphere and it makes people want to stay but then having said that, overspending is definitely a bad habit.
Erina: Yeah, it is for sure a money drainer to go to Starbucks all the time but people know where to find me so I guess that's a good thing.
Mike: Yeah, there are always benefits to bad things. Now besides overspending at Starbucks, can you think of any other bad habits that you might have?
Erina: Well, I get this from my husband a lot but I touch my hair all the time apparently but I really don't notice myself doing it so, you know, my husband fidgets a lot and he doesn't notice it and I think it's one of those things that other people will, you know, point at you, you know, point it out what your bad habits are and for me it's apparently touching my hair.
Mike: Right, I guess that bad habit is kind of in the same category as fidgeting, right?
Erina: I think so.
Mike: Although that might be a calming action for you, for other people it looks like you're nervous or you're not sure what to say so that might be a bad habit that you could work on.
Erina: Yeah, I can work on it by tying my hair up I guess. Very simple.
Mike: Well it's a simple fix.
Erina: Hm, hm.
Overspending is definitely a bad habit.
When you 'overspend,' you spend too much money on a particular thing, usually something you don't really need. Notice the following:
- Don't overspend on a gift for my birthday.
- I feel like she overspent on every new appliance that she got for the kitchen.
Buying coffee everyday can be a money drainer.
A 'money drainer' is something that causes you to spend a large portion of your money. Notice the following:
- Medical bills are a money drainer.
- This car has been a real money drainer for me in the past few years.
My husband fidgets a lot.
A person who fidgets can't sit in one place for a long time without moving. Usually fidgets are kind of nervous or anxious movements. Notice the following:
- She has a very difficult time sitting still in class. She is always fidgeting in one way or another.
- He constantly fidgets with the radio when he is driving.
He pointed out my bad habit.
When you 'point something out' you draw someone's attention to it or make him aware of it. Notice the following:
- She always points out things about other people's appearances.
- I just want to point out that you are driving a little too fast for this area.
It is a simple fix to the problem.
A 'simple fix' is an easy solution to the problem. Notice the following:
- I think that making a list of what you have to do each day is a simple fix for forgetting what you have going on.
- This isn't really a long-term solution, but it is a good simple fix for right now.
point out • simple fix