Hotel for Him
Mike: Well, there are many hotels that would appeal to me but I'd say my ideal hotel would number one have to have a gorgeous view from the room. And if we're talking about idealistic, I would choose a hotel that is suspended over the water, just off the beach. And my ideal hotel would be not a hotel where the rooms are all connected but rather rooms being separate villas or bungalows and those villas to be situated just above the water so when you wake up in the morning, you're literally above the water already. You're already on the beach and to get from your room to the beach you have to walk out and you wade in the water until you get to the beach, so a place like that, definitely my ideal hotel would be, you know, something like that.
My ideal hotel would have to be situated in nature and I would really love it to have a location that would provide me with opportunities to do a lot of cool activities. You know, perhaps adventure stuff in nature dealing with animals that type of thing, being able to see the local color of the area. So that would probably be my ideal hotel.
One other point I would like to make is that the hotel would have to have unbelievable food and I think a hotel with good food and not just good food but a lot of options for food. So when you wake up in the morning and you go for breakfast buffet, you have a choice of virtually any different type of food that there is. A lot of good hotels are limited to what kind of food they offer even if the food is high quality so that would be another aspect for me that would be quite important for my ideal hotel.
Erina: Yeah, it sounds like a nice hotel what you just described.
Mike: Yeah, absolutely.
appeal to me
There are many hotels that would appeal to me.
Something that 'appeals to you' is something you find interesting or enjoy. Notice the following:
- That movie doesn't appeal to me at all.
- Does Italian food appeal to you tonight?
I would choose a hotel that is suspended over water.
A hotel that is 'suspended over' water is hanging from something over the water or built in a way that it is out over the water. Notice the following:
- There is a huge chandelier suspended over the dining room table.
- I want the speakers suspended over those tables over there.
The villas would be situated above the water.
Where something is 'situated' is where it is located. Notice the following:
- Many of the farms in rural areas are situated on the side of mountains.
- My desk is situated in the back left corner of the classroom.
To get from your room to the beach, you have to wade out in the water.
'Wading' means walking in shallow water. Usually the water isn't deeper than your knees. Notice the following:
- We will have to wade across the river, because there is not bridge.
- You can wade along the shore, but don't go too deep into the water.
I want to do things dealing with animals to be able to see the local color.
Here, the 'local color' refers to how the people really live and what they normally do every day. Notice the following:
- Eating at markets, instead of restaurants, really helps you see the local color.
- Traveling to another country during a holiday really gives you a chance to see the local color there.
In my ideal hotel, you would have your choice of virtually any different type of food.
'Virtually any' is like 'almost any.' The hotel would have almost any type of food. Notice the following:
- They serve virtually any kind of pizza you could imagine.
- Teaching is something you can do virtually anywhere.
Try These Lessons
Mike's ideal hotel when traveling.
Felipe talks about food in Ecuador.
Felipe talks about foods from Colombia.
Jana talks about student life abroad.
Being a student in three different cultures.
give it a try >>
wade • local • virtually