Todd: OK, Clare we're going to talk about your house.
Todd: OK, do you live in a big house or a small house?
Clare: I live in quite a big house.
Todd: A big house. Really!
Todd: OK, how many rooms does it have?
Clare: About 12.
Todd: Jeez! 12 rooms.
Todd: Wow. Is it a new house or old house?
Clare: It's about 80 years old.
Todd: Wow. OK. I guess. well that's old for America, but that's probably not very old.
Clare: That's not very old for England.
Todd: Wow. OK. What is in your kitchen?
Clare: A big round table and a cooker.
Todd: OK. And what is in the living room?
Clare: A TV and a video.
Todd: OK. Do you watch TV a lot?
Todd: OK. Uh, what do you watch on TV?
Clare: Anything. I don't really like watching sport.
Clare: I like watching TV series.
Todd: Oh, wow, that's the only thing I like is sports
Clare: Some sports are OK. I don't like watching golf, snooker, and sports like that.
Todd: Yeah. OK. Great. Thanks.
How many rooms does the house have?
Usually when talking about "rooms" in a house we are referring to bedrooms, or places for people to sleep. Notice the following:
- There were seven people living in the house and only four rooms.
- His room was across the hall from mine.
Is it a new house or an old house?
A "new house" has recently been built and has never been lived in by another person or family. Notice the following:
- She decided to buy a new house because she didn't want any problems with the structure.
- They building a lot of new houses near the highway.
old for America
That's old for America.
England is an older country, so an 80 year-old house is not old for England, but old for America, because England has houses that are much older. Notice the following:
- This building is very old and traditional for America.
- The company has a history of 100 years, which is old for America.
A big round table.
A "round" table is a table in the shape of a circle. Notice the following:
- The new office building is round and has a lot of windows.
- The round table made it easy for everyone to be part of the conversation.
I like watching TV series.
A "series" is where each episode is related to the other episodes and together they tell a story. Notice the following:
- I always watch my favorite series on Thursday night.
- Is there any series that you really enjoy?
round • series
Sophie talks about her hometown.
Rob talks about his construction job.
Matt talks about his city.
Clare answers questions about her home in England.
Laura talks about her city.