456 Embarassing Moment
Ruth shares an embarrassing moment.
My most embarrassing moment was probably when I lived in Germany. One day I decided to go shopping and I drove into town. I had a car. And I was very, very pleased because I found a parking space immedately which was rather unusual. I did my shopping, which only took half an hour and I went back to my car, and to my absolute horror it was no longer on the ground but it was suspended in the air. I really did not know what to do at this point so I walked back into town and I went to the police station. The police were very kind to me and I was very grateful for that and they interviewed me. They asked me what had happened and I said 'I'm really sorry, I didn't buy a parking ticket' and they said 'We hadn't even noticed that!', they said 'Do you realise where you had parked?' and I said 'Well no, I have no idea' and they said 'Well actually you parked into the entrance to a car park and as a result nobody could get out of the car park because you were parked in the entrance'. So I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time then. It was very embarrassing: I hadn't seen the sign, I hadn't noticed the car park which was rather silly. Erm, but now my friends think it is really funny when I tell them the story. I also think it's funny but it was an expensive mistake!
My most embarrassing moment was probably when I lived in Germany.
When something is 'embarrassing,' it causes us to feel self conscious. We usually feel embarrassed when we make a mistake. When you are embarrassed, your face turns red. Notice the following:
- He always says really embarrassing things.
- I can't believe that I fell down the stairs in front of everyone. How embarrassing!
parking space or rather unusual
I found a parking space immediately, which was rather unusual.
A 'parking space' is a place to leave your car when you are not using it. There are usually parking spaces outside of store. If something is 'rather unusual' it means that it is not common. Notice the following:
- I just need to find a parking space, and then I will be there.
- He was actually early today, which is rather unusual.
To my absolute horror, when I went back to my car, it was no longer there.
If we discover something to our 'absolute horror,' it means that we are completely shocked and probably never imagined this situation to be possible. It is kind of like a nightmare situation. Notice the following:
- He looked at the hotel bill in absolute horror.
- I discovered, to my absolute horror, that I was lost and didn't have my cell phone.
suspended in the air
I found my car was no longer on the ground but it was suspended in the air.
When something is 'suspended in the air,' it means that it is hanging in the air so the part that usually sits on the ground is not touching anything. Notice the following:
- I didn't see the plant suspended in the air, and I hit my head on it.
- He has a bicycle, which is suspended in the air, in his living room.
laugh and cry at the same time
When they told me that, I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.
If something makes you want to 'laugh and cry at the same time,' it makes you feel very different emotions at once. In this case, Ruth feels happy because she still has her car, but sad because she has to pay money for her mistake. Notice the following:
- Getting offered a new job made her want to laugh and cry at the same time. She was excited for a new opportunity, but sad to leave her friends.
- I was sad because I was leaving, but her comments were so funny that I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.
Now, my friends and I think it's funny, but it was an expensive mistake.
An 'expensive mistake' is either one that costs you a lot of money or costs you something valuable, like time. Notice the following:
- Getting surgery on my eyes was a very expensive mistake. I still have to use glasses.
- Hiring an employee who wasn't qualified was a very expensive mistake for the company.
Below are some more great lessons!
horror • laugh • suspended • mistake