458 Wake Up
Ruth and Todd talk about their morning.
Todd: So, what did you do today?
Ruth: Well, actually, I got up this morning quite early. I couldn't sleep so I was a little bit annoyed and then I went to church and I had some lunch and..
Todd: OK, but, you said early, like how early?
Ruth: Well, I think it was about 7 o'clock.
Todd: That's not early.
Ruth: That is early if you went to bed at 1.
Todd: That's true. That's sleeping in for me.
Ruth: That's sleeping in. That's true. You're an early bird aren't you?
Todd: Now, last night we went out and had the beers.
Todd: I was actually quite happy this morning. I had no hangover.
Ruth: Did you not? (No) I felt a little bit queasy this morning, and I was a bit ashamed, and I didn't even drink very much. I wasn't, I didn't feel queasy. I think is was more that I hadn't had any sleep actually.
Todd: Yeah, did you feel guilty in church knowing that you still had the beer buzz?
Ruth: No. I didn't feel guilty about that.
Todd: Yeah, that would be tough one. No, I still got up this morning at 5:45.
Ruth: You must be a lunatic.
Todd: Well, I mean when the light comes up and the light goes through your window, I don't know how people can still sleep. You know? You can sleep when the light, the sunrise still comes up?
Ruth: Yeah, not for too, I mean I can't sleep forever, but like, 7 o'clock, 8 o'clock, then my body wakes up.
Todd: The apartment I was at before, it was crazy because there was a rooster outside, and it didn't do what it was supposed to do, like normally when the sun comes up, the rooster is supposed to go, "er-er-er-er" or whatever,
but this thing did it at like 1 and 2 in the morning. It used to drive me nuts, so I used to always wake up at 2 because I'd hear this rooster going "er-er-er" and I just wanted to kill that bird.
Ruth: Did you go sleep, back to sleep after that?
Todd: Yeah, of course I went back to sleep, but the bird would wake me up regularly. Yeah. No roosters here.
Ruth: That's not funny is it?
I couldn't sleep so I was a little annoyed.
When you are 'annoyed' about something, you are either frustrated or irritated. Notice the following:
- He gets really annoyed when he has to wait for people.
- She gets really annoyed by the sound of the phone ringing.
Getting up at 7 o'clock is not early; it's sleeping in for me.
If you 'sleep in,' you are sleeping later than you usually do. Notice the following:
- You look really tired. You should try to sleep in tomorrow.
- I enjoy sleeping in on the weekends.
You're an early bird, aren't you?
An 'early bird' is someone who naturally wakes up early. Notice the following:
- My husband and I are complete opposites. He's an early bird, and I'm a night owl.
- People know not to talk to me until after I have my coffee. I am not an early bird.
I was actually quite happy this morning because I had no hangover from last night.
You get a 'hangover' from drinking alcohol. It is when you head hurts the next day because you drank too much. Notice the following:
- If I have a hangover, all I want to do is sleep.
- I had one glass of wine last night, and I have a hangover today.
I felt a little bit queasy this morning, and I didn't even drink very much.
When you are 'queasy,' you feel like you might vomit. Notice the following:
- I'm not really hungry right now. I actually feel kind of queasy.
- I can't read in the car, because I get queasy.
Did you feel guilty in church knowing that you still had the beer buzz?
You have a 'buzz' when you feel the effects of alcohol, in this case beer, in your body. You are not drunk, but you can feel some changes. Notice the following:
- You've only had one drink. How can you have a beer buzz.
- I usually only drink until I get a little beer buzz, then I stop.
If you got up this morning at 5:45, you must be a lunatic!
A 'lunatic' is a person who is crazy. Notice the following:
- He's a real lunatic when he's angry.
- She's kind of a lunatic, in terms of exercise.
Below are some more great lessons!
hangover • queasy • buzz