625 What's for Lunch?
Tom and Martin talk about what they like to eat for lunch.
Tom: What did you have for lunch?
Martin: I had a chicken bento.
Tom: You brought it from home?
Martin: No, I bought it here on campus.
Tom: How was it?
Martin: It was ok. It's better than most of the other food here and it wasn't too expensive.
Tom: Do you eat here a lot.
Martin: I try not to.
Tom: Why not?
Martin: It's a little more expensive and the quality isn't quite as good as I'd hope for the value.
Tom: More expensive than where?
Martin: More expensive than a small restaurant or a specialized chicken place down in town.
Tom: Really? I agree with you about the quality but I thought it was quite cheap up here.
Martin: I just find I can find a little better deal sometimes in town and a lot better quality for about the same price.
Tom: So about lunch, do you have lunch here?
Martin: Often? No.
Tom: What do you do for lunch?
Martin: I usually go home and eat. I'm not on campus that often.
Tom: Ok, yeah. 'Cause I kind of get stuck up here from morning until evening so I'm eating there everyday.
Martin: Everyday. Sorry to hear that.
Tom: What do you do for dinner, do you cook?
Martin: Yes I do, most often, usually just easy beef stir-fries or now and then go out...
Tom: Like chinese-style.
Martin: Yeah. Easier to cook than Japanese-style.
Tom: Do you shop everyday or do you go shopping once a week.
Martin: I usually shop every other day.
Tom: Ok. So you like fresh food.
Tom: Do you live on your own.
Martin: Yes. How about you?
Tom: Oh yeah, I live on my own.
Martin: That's always better sometimes.
Tom: With my cooking, it's not better that I live on my own.
I had a chicken bento for lunch, and it was good.
'Bento' is a Japanese meal which is served in a painted box that has been divided into different sections for the different types of food. Notice the following:
- I think a seafood bento sounds amazing right now.
- There is a Japanese kiosk down the street that has great bento lunch specials.
It's more expensive here than at that specialized chicken place in town.
A restaurant that is 'specialized' has only a few things on their menu, but they are famous for making those things. Notice the following:
- In the past, this company specialized in camping equipment, but now they make all different things.
- It would be better if you went to a specialized bicycle shop.
I thought the food was quite cheap up here.
Something that is 'quite cheap' is pretty inexpensive. It doesn't cost very much money. Notice the following:
- If you come during a sale, you can find really nice things for quite cheap.
- This apartment is small, but it's quite cheap, so I'm fine with it.
a better deal
For a lot better quality for about the same price, I find it a better deal.
When something is a 'good deal,' you feel as though you are getting good quality for the money you are paying for it. If you get a good deal at one place, and then you find a place with a lower price and higher quality, you have found a 'better deal.' Notice the following:
- The other car is actually a better deal.
- I actually found a better deal on flights than what I already told you about.
get stuck up here
I get stuck up here all day, so I eat lunch at the campus everyday.
When you 'get stuck' in a place, it means that you can't leave for some reason. Notice the following:
- One of the employees never came into work, and i got stuck up there all day.
- Call if you need anything. I don't want you to feel like you are just stuck up here all day.