Listen to what six people talk about what they did yesterday and see how they use the past tense.
- Audio Slide Show
What did I do yesterday? Well yesterday was Thanksgiving and I had the good fortune of being invited to the house of a friend where a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner was prepared. So I was able to eat delicious food and good company and I had some good conversations all and all it was a very, very, very pleasant day. Though I did eat too much.
Emily / Djibouti
I was at school until 6 o'clock I think, 6pm, yeah. And, I got back home, I had my dinner, did my homework and I was actually chatting with a Chinese friend and she showed me a lot of Chinese movies and like famous people in China, and it was quite interesting.
Nick / Australia
Yesterday I went to work, I taught at school. I taught English at school and played sports with my kids. It was lots of fun. We have our sporting festival next week. So there's lots of preparation happening.
Hoa / Vietnam
What did I do yesterday? I had a part-time job yesterday, yeah, actually. And, I worked in a co-op in my university which is like a little cafeteria where they sell a lot of goods like sweets and books and everything else. And, I had work in the morning and in the evening I went out a little bit with my friends because my friend threw a party last night like a welcome party so I went there and met some new friends and enjoyed my time and just a relaxing day for a weekend.
Jonathan / Canada
What did I do yesterday? Well, it wasn't that different or special a day. I worked most of the day so I got up, took a shower and so on and went to work most of the day. In the evening I went to an international party, I met a friend of mine and met some new friends, had some good single malt scotch, some good conversation and went to sleep with a smile on my face.
Demelza / Australia
Yesterday I chilled out at my apartment and then I had some lunch in a nice restaurant in a shopping mall in town and after that I went to work.
eat delicious food and good company
'good company' simply means good friends or interesting people. Notice the samples.
- I met two Vietnamese students on the flight from Beijing. They were good company.
- I like to spend my holidays with good food and good company.
all in all it was a very pleasant day
'All and all' means 'in general'. Notice how they are similar.
- There were some problems, but all in all the project was a success.
- There were some problems, but in general project was a success.
I had a part time job
A full time job is usually 40 hours per week. A part time job has fewer hours. Here are two examples.
- My girlfriend had a part time job at McDonald's over the summer.
- Many American high school students have a part time job.
I got up, took a shower and so on
'so on' has the same meaning as etc. Notice how so on and etc. are the same.
- During the week, I usually wake up, work out, go to school, do homework and so on.
- During the week, I usually wake up, work out, go to school, do homework, etc.
yesterday I chilled out at my apartment
'Chill out' means to relax. Usually younger people use this phrase. See the samples below.
- On Sundays I usually chill out in my dorm room.
- After final exams, Jang needed to chill out for a couple of days.