951 Flea Market
Melissa talks about her interest in flea markets and things you can buy there.
Melissa: I like doing community events. I'm trying to get more involved in community events. There's a flea market this weekend.
Todd: A flea market?
Todd: Oh, yeah.
Melissa: At the beachside, and there's going to be lots of different eco-friendly stuff going on there, so it's kind of a mix of a reuse, resell your old stuff. Get new stuff for cheap.
Todd: OK, so for people who might not be familiar with the term flea market, can you explain?
Melissa: A flea market is basically a place where people can take old clothes, old utensils, forks, spoons, knives, things like that from the kitchen, and other housewares either sell them or give them away at a cheap price, and it's fun because the customers ... a lot of them like to come and look at all the different stuff and even maybe haggle some prices, so try to get you to give a lower price, or if you're trying to get rid of a lot of stuff you might try to get the customer to take two things for the price of one. Things like that.
Todd: Yeah, right. Like when I was a kid I used to always go to flea marts, or flea markets with my grandparents, and what I thought was great is that you can haggle.
Todd: Right? Cause in the U.S. you can't haggle at a store.
Melissa: Yeah, exactly. And I like doing that when I'm travelling ... haggling. Trying to get a good deal, so it's fun to do it at a flea market when you're selling your own stuff.
Todd: So, this weekend, are you selling or buying?
Melissa: Well, I actually don't have that much stuff to sell cause I've recently moved so I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff I don't need, but I do plan bring some old pieces of clothing and things like that that I want to get rid of, and yeah, I'm really into flea markets and old thrift stores and stuff like that, so I just like to see what people have. If there's something cool, I might buy it.
There's a flea market this weekend.
A flea market is a place where people sell old or used things cheaply. Notice the following.
- I bought this used guitar at the flea market. Isn't it cool?
- Let's try to sell these old CD's at the flea market on Saturday.
There's lots of eco-friendly stuff there.
Something that is eco-friendly does not harm the environment. Here are two samples.
- Nowadays, companies are producing more eco-friendly cars.
- My reusable cotton shopping bag is much more eco-friendly than plastic.
You can buy old utensils.
A utensil is an item usually used for cooking or eating. Notice the samples.
- I bought some old cooking utensils at the flea market.
- We need utensils; you know, forks, spoons, knives, stuff like that.
People sell utensils and other housewares.
Housewares are things used around the house, especially the kitchen. Here are two sample sentences.
- You can find a microwave in the housewares department of the store.
- I have to get some housewares for my new apartment.
Get the customer to take two things for the price of one.
'Two things for the price of one' is a sales promotion. When we buy two things, the second one is free. Notice the sample sentences.
- I bought these two shirts for the price of one.
- There's a two for the price of one sale this weekend. Let's go!
We say 'yeah exactly' when we agree with somebody. Here are two samples.
- Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
- Yeah, exactly. I think it's her best movie too.
I'm always trying to get a good deal.
When we get a good deal, we get something we want for very little money. Notice the following.
- I got a good deal on my new computer.
- Maybe we can get a better deal at another shop.
I plan to get rid of some old clothes.
We get rid of things we don't want. Here are some samples.
- I'm gonna' get rid of these old CD's. Do you want them?
- After 2 weeks, I finally got rid of my cold.
I'm really into old thrift stores.
A thrift store sells old or used things, usually to make money for charity. Notice the samples.
- My sister loves shopping at thrift stores.
- When I shop at thrift stores, I always get a good deal.
Below are some more great lessons!