Todd: So, Joel, how was the bowling match?
Joel: Not bad, I won the first one but I lost the second one.
Todd: Yeah. How's your arm feeling?
Joel: Not bad. My hands are a little tired but my arms fine.
Todd: OK, so, are you going to go home and put some ice on it or?
Joel: No, I don't think so. I think I need to get a beer.
Todd: A beer. OK, actually as soon as we finish this I'll be right with you. Why is bowling so popular do you think?
Joel: It's cheap and you can spend as much time here as you want. That's what I like about it. I noticed like, we can sit there and talk and we're not under a time limit or anything. We can just take our time. And you don't need any special skills to play it. Anybody can do it.
Todd: Yeah. How long have you been bowling?
Joel: Not long. Maybe I've only been ten or fifteen times in my whole life.
Todd: Oh, really. (Yeah) Well you look pretty good for only ten or fifteen times.
My arm's fine.
If you feel 'fine' you don't feel bad and you don't feel great. This word is similar to okay, but a little more positive. Notice the following:
- The hotel room was fine, but a little small.
- I thought you would be really tired today, but you look fine.
get a beer
I think I need to get a beer.
To buy a beer and drink it is to 'get a beer.' Notice the following:
- We went to the bar to watch the game and get a few beers.
- Do you want to get a beer with me after work today?
right with you
I'll be right with you.
This phrase is used in customer service. If a receptionist at a hotel is busy she will say 'I'll be right with you' which means she will help you in a few minutes or as soon as she has time. Notice the following:
- Give me two minutes to finish this and I'll be right with you.
- The secretary was on the phone when we arrived at the dentist's office, but she said she would be right with us.
We're not under any time limit.
A 'time limit' is the amount of time you have to do something. Maybe a time limit for an exam in school is 50 minutes, and for a work project it is two days. Notice the following:
- Did your boss give you a time limit for the report?
- The time limit for this project is three days.
take our time
We can just take our time.
To 'take your time' is to do something at a speed that is comfortable and slow, there is no urgency. Notice the following:
- We don't usually walk quickly. We take our time and enjoy the beautiful sights.
- Dinner isn't ready yet, so you can take your time coming over.
time limit • take your
Keith talks about his preferences.
Joel just finished bowling. He talks about his game.
Roe talks about his first job and how successful he was at it.
Diana talks about food she loves.
Kerri answers questions about summer.