Hello, my name is Amar and I'm from Lebanon. My question is, is meditation common in your culture? I
n my culture, being a Lebanese Arab living in the Middle East, then no. I would say meditation is not part of our culture. However, spirituality is, if you want to consider that. The two main religions in Lebanon are Islam and Christianity, and both are widely practiced. So you have a lot of rituals, a lot of mindfulness, thinking about life, meaning of life, afterlife, lots of mosques and churches. However, if you want to talk about meditation as in mindfulness, yoga, stuff like that, then these ideas are becoming more and more widespread with the young generation. You have a lot of new meditation centers, yoga places, mindfulness principles being talked about on social media, which is really nice. But I wouldn't say it's exactly part of our culture.
How to Practice Listening Comprehension
- Play the video.
- Answer the questions as you listen.
- Check your answers when you finish.
How to Practice Vocabulary
- Review the vocabulary from the video below.
- Complete the blanks below with words from the lesson.
- Check your answers. Correct any answers that are wrong!
1) widespread | Common, popular
2) mindfulness | Taking time to really notice, feel and focus
3) afterlife | Where our spirit goes after we die
4) spirituality | Connecting with God or something bigger than self
5) rituals | Ceremony, formal repeated actions
spirituality • afterlife • mindfulness
How to Practice Speaking
- Play the audio and answer the questions with your own answer.
- Click the blue squares to see the questions and possible answers.
- There is a pause of six seconds to answer each question.
How to Practice Grammar
- Choose the correct word for each blank.
- Check you score at the end. Three attempts are allowed.
- Study Tip - Play the video and choose the words as you listen.
Got another minute! Try these lesssons.
The more you listen, the faster you improve!